Typical Mixer Tap Installation


Typical Toilet Cistern Installation

Does my insurance policy automatically cover me if my flexible connector hose bursts?

It is recommended that you speak with your insurer. Some policies may have this as a defined incident, others may have a higher excess for this type of event and some policies will not cover this at all. It is advisable to read the product disclosure statement and directly contact your insurer for clarification. One thing your insurance policy will not cover is the disruption and chaos that a flooded house will have on you and your families’ life!

The plumbing merchant says the flexible hoses they sell have a great long life warranty so why do I need a flood stop device?

All flexible hoses are susceptible to environmental factors which will cause the hose to deteriorate. Yes the hose manufacturer may give you a new $5 hose in 3 years time if the fault was proven to be a manufacturing fault. Traditionally a manufacturer will not admit liability rather they will say the fault was environmental and in most cases they are correct. To keep a plumbing merchant happy they may provide a new hose. The hose warranty does not cover the cost of the flooded house. That is always the responsibility of the home owner.

Do I need a plumber to fit the Flood Stop Device?

Yes. It is always recommended that a licenced plumber install and commission these products to ensure they are working correctly.

Are these flood stop devices suitable for Dishwashers and Washing Machines?

The simple answer is no. Because of the varying fill rates (flow volumes) of the washing cycles for dishwashers and washing machines the different dishwasher and washing machine manufacturers are now building their own proprietary flood stop devices to suit their individual machines.

Should I use the optional Flood Stop Flow Control Adaptors?

It is not mandatory to use the flow control adaptors as long as the water flow is restricted to less than 9litres per minute after the flexible hose (this is often done through an end of line flow controlled aerator). The flood stop device is governed by a predetermine flow rate. To truly govern the rate of flow exiting the flexible hose a flow controller is fitted to the end of the flexible hose. When maximum water flow exits the flood stop device and enters the flexible hose, but is then restricted at the exit end of the flexible hose, this truly isolates the hose and eliminates any of the environmental hydraulics in the installation environment including in-line and mixer tap air pockets.

Can I use these devices on toilet cisterns?

Yes. Once again to isolate the weakest link of the plumbing system which is the flexible connector hose, it is recommended that a flow device be installed at the exit point of the hose before the cistern inlet. This is traditionally done by screwing a male/female brass adaptor with a flow control disc located inside onto the threaded inlet of the toilet cistern. This has no impact on how much water will flush into the toilet bowl.

Do these products work with WELS rated products?

Yes. The maximum flow rate allowed for a WELS rated product is 3 stars which equates to 9 litres per minute nominal water flow. Each flood stop device is tested so it will operate with these WELS products as the flood stop device will close when the flow is between 9.5 and 10.5 litres per minute.

Does reducing the flow of water exiting the flood stop device reduce the pressure?

No. All this will do is reduce the flow of water which will in turn will reduce the effectiveness of the flood stop device should the flexible hose burst as the predetermined shut-off flow rate will not be reached. Ensure all plumbing fittings are installed in an environment with a maximum operating pressure of 500kpa.

Should I turn the tap handle on so it is fully wound open?

It is advisable to turn the tap handle to the full open position then wind the handle back about half a turn. This will help with the longevity of the tap spindle whilst still maintaining maximum water flow out of the device.

If we have a blown hose what do we do to reset the device?

Firstly turn the tap handle to the fully closed position. This will automatically reset the flood stop valve. Next replace the damaged hose and ensure both ends of the hose are attached securely and are water tight. Gently turn the handle to the on position and you will here the water flow into the hose. Inspect for any leaks.

I flicked my mixer on and no water comes out?

If you are installing and commissioning a mixer tap without flow controllers attached to the end of the flexible connector hoses you may have to slowly lift the handle of the mixer tap on both the hot and cold sides to expel any air that may be present in the mixer as the quick flow of water filling the air pocket may cause the flood stop device to engage.